[Mailman-Users] Virtual hosts

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Fri Apr 13 06:23:21 CEST 2007

At 4:25 PM +0900 4/12/07, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>  As I read the thread, I saw no examples of RFC 2822 headers being
>  munged, but I did see lots of discussion of SMTP commands like ELHO,
>  MAIL, and RCPT.  RFC 1123 requires that addresses in MAIL and RCPT
>  commands be canonicalized, but says nothing about the RFC 2822 headers
>  that I can see.  So I've been thinking in terms of envelope addresses,
>  which often are visible to users in various ways.

Fair enough.

>  And on which host?  Ie, is it that joe at example.com composes a message
>  "To: nine at virtual.dom", and the MTA at example.com is rewriting that
>  to "To: nine at hosting-service.dom"?  If so, it's purely a DNS issue and
>  neither Mailman nor Mailman's MTA can do anything about it.  Or is the
>  MTA at hosting-service.dom rewriting it before redistributing?  Or
>  what?

Well, the way that the standards were previously interpreted was that
this sort of transformation should always be done, and on all hosts
that would be touching the message.  So, even if you didn't do it,
the machine downstream should.

It's going to take a very long time to turn that ship around.