[Mailman-Users] [Fwd: archive emails are garbled]

Justin Zygmont justin at cityfone.net
Thu Sep 21 19:03:52 CEST 2006

Brad Knowles wrote:
> At 5:21 PM -0700 9/20/06, Justin Zygmont wrote:
>
>>  Thanks, I guess its just a matter of inserting the content-type header
>>  into the message then.  I created these messages with a script that
>>  saved its output to a file, then used:
>>  mailx -s "subject" me at mydomain.com <filename.html
>

> If you build the message yourself, as opposed to using a MIME-aware MUA,
> then yes -- you will also need to build the necessary MIME headers and
> internal infrastructure.  However, this can be a complex subject, and I
> would recommend that you at least look into command-line utilities that
> can help make this process easier.
>
> I can't think of the names of the toolkits off the top of my head, but
> you should be able to find them pretty easily with Google.
>

> But do keep in mind that even command-line MUAs like mailx won't let you
> control your own headers.  If you want to control the headers, you will
> need to feed your formatted message directly to sendmail or some other
> comparable message submission agent.
>
> When I've done that in the past, it's looked something like:
>
>     sendmail -t -fsender at address.he.re.example.com < /path/to/message
>
>>  If only there is a command line mailer that will allow me to add the
>>  mime type header to the email, then that would allow the message to
>>  display correctly in both my email client, and the list archives.
>

> I'd bet that "mutt" could do that, since it is the MUA that was
> originally written by the guy who also wrote the PGP/MIME RFC, so he
> clearly knows both his crypto/PGP stuff and his MIME stuff.
>
> Note that mutt does give you some control over what goes in the headers,
> but mostly that's for putting in your own "X-" headers and not doing
> critical things like mucking about with the MIME structure of the message.

thanks, I see it adds proper headers this way, but I still don't see a
way to control what mime type to use.  I used the sendmail command with
an html file and it still came through as ascii.  I've found that one
workaround is to use mutt -a to include the file as an attachment, but
i'm suprised there's no easy way to do this.  Thanks everyone for your
help, I think the lesson is to find something other than uuencode when
sending to mailman so it doesnt spoil the list archives.