[Mailman-Users] [Fwd: archive emails are garbled]

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Thu Sep 21 06:43:00 CEST 2006

At 5:21 PM -0700 9/20/06, Justin Zygmont wrote:

>  Thanks, I guess its just a matter of inserting the content-type header
>  into the message then.  I created these messages with a script that
>  saved its output to a file, then used:
>  mailx -s "subject" me at mydomain.com <filename.html

If you build the message yourself, as opposed to using a MIME-aware
MUA, then yes -- you will also need to build the necessary MIME
headers and internal infrastructure.  However, this can be a complex
subject, and I would recommend that you at least look into
command-line utilities that can help make this process easier.

I can't think of the names of the toolkits off the top of my head,
but you should be able to find them pretty easily with Google.

But do keep in mind that even command-line MUAs like mailx won't let
you control your own headers.  If you want to control the headers,
you will need to feed your formatted message directly to sendmail or
some other comparable message submission agent.

When I've done that in the past, it's looked something like:

	sendmail -t -fsender at address.he.re.example.com < /path/to/message

>  If only there is a command line mailer that will allow me to add the
>  mime type header to the email, then that would allow the message to
>  display correctly in both my email client, and the list archives.

I'd bet that "mutt" could do that, since it is the MUA that was
originally written by the guy who also wrote the PGP/MIME RFC, so he
clearly knows both his crypto/PGP stuff and his MIME stuff.

Note that mutt does give you some control over what goes in the
headers, but mostly that's for putting in your own "X-" headers and
not doing critical things like mucking about with the MIME structure
of the message.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755

  Founding Individual Sponsor of LOPSA.  See <http://www.lopsa.org/>.