[Mailman-Users] Alternate SMTP setup

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Tue Sep 12 03:15:13 CEST 2006

At 10:54 AM -0700 2006-09-11, Jack Stone wrote:

>   4) Have been looking at all logs for errors - none found, except the
>  firewall logs show no packets -- ipsumdump -- no packets to port 1313

There's got to be something in the Mailman and MTA logs.  If not,
then the configuration was not changed (as you thought you had done).

>   Did all of the above before posting for help. Also, looked at the FAQ
>  several times.

Much appreciated.

>   Further, have been searching for ways to add more subdir for the
>  mail/spool -- not luck there so far in my search at sendmail, etc.

If you want to create additional mail queue subdirectories under
sendmail, that's a standard thing with the later versions and should
definitely be described in their documentation.  You don't have to
worry about this with postfix, since it does that by default
out-of-the-box.

>   BTW: Another thing is that in the FAQ I see a long analysis about
>  setting SMTP_MAX_RCPTS = 10 to SMTP_MAX_RCPTS = 5 max.

Yup.

>   I'm using 10, but do have numerous "big gorillas" like Yahoo, Hotmail,
>  msn, aol, etc. -- a high ratio of those.

This may or may not make a difference for you.  IIRC, the big point
of the articles by Chuq were in response to questions about VERP and
personalization, and going from something like SMTP_MAX_RECIPIENTS=10
down to SMTP_MAX_RECIPIENTS=1 (e.g., enabling VERP and/or
personalization).

And Chuq is working from data on some of the biggest known Mailman
mailing lists, so I'd have very good reason to believe his numbers.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755

  Founding Individual Sponsor of LOPSA.  See <http://www.lopsa.org/>.