[Mailman-Users] Alternate SMTP setup

Jack Stone antennex at swbell.net
Mon Sep 11 19:54:36 CEST 2006

Brad Knowles <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org> wrote:    At 9:12 AM -0700 2006-09-11, Jack Stone wrote:

> In an effort to further tuneup/speedup the list deliveries (being choked
> again today), I have used the method below about an alternate smtp for
> mailman's use. However, I have yet to see any packets go through port 1313.

What is in the logs? Did you stop and restart Mailman? Did you make
sure that all anti-virus/anti-spam processing is turned off in this
second MTA instance? Did you also make sure that they turn off all
reverse DNS checks?

This technique has been in wide use, so without more information on
what errors are showing up on your side, it's impossible to tell what
may have happened.

  <JLS> ---->
  1) Yes, restarted Mailman
  2) anti-spam - Trusted networks are ignored in/out -- not sure about ClamAV, but will look.
  3) Have caching DNS on this server
  4) Have been looking at all logs for errors - none found, except the firewall logs show no packets -- ipsumdump -- no packets to port 1313

  Did all of the above before posting for help. Also, looked at the FAQ several times.

  Further, have been searching for ways to add more subdir for the mail/spool -- not luck there so far in my search at sendmail, etc.

  Still see 10 xxxxx.pck's in the ~mailman/qfiles/out

  The ones older than 3 hours finally gone, but some still an hour old.

  BTW: Another thing is that in the FAQ I see a long analysis about setting SMTP_MAX_RCPTS = 10 to SMTP_MAX_RCPTS = 5 max.

  I'm using 10, but do have numerous "big gorillas" like Yahoo, Hotmail, msn, aol, etc. -- a high ratio of those.

(^-^)
Best regards,
Jack L. Stone