[Mailman-Users] Threading for integration with message board

Robert Hsiung dr-bob at uchicago.edu
Mon Oct 2 20:48:31 CEST 2006

Hi, everyone,

Do any of you know of an easy way to organize email into threads?
Have any of you integrated a Mailman list and a message board?

I have a message board that I'd like users to be able to post to by
email (instead of having to go the web site), and what I'm finding
hard is integrating posts that are emailed with those that are
submitted from the web site.

My first idea was to use Mailman, with the message board based on the
threaded archives, but Mailman doesn't actually seem to do a great
job of threading, plus I'm afraid I'd need to learn Python (what I'm
comfortable with is Perl).

My other idea is to do it myself, by using the post number of the
post being replied to as the "+detail" part of the reply-to address.
The message board script gives each post a post number. If it emails
out post 123, for example, with a reply-to address of:

	list+123 at server

and a user replies to that, the sendmail aliases file can pipe it to
the message board script:

	list+*: |path-to-script

which can then extract the "123" from the reply-to header and thread
it after post 123. It seems to me the easiest way to thread is with
the number of the post being replied to, and I can't think of another
way to make sure an email reply includes it.

What do you all think? I guess the second part is kind of off-topic
here, but I hope it's OK to ask. Thanks,

Bob