[Mailman-Users] how do I add a new administrative role to mailman?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Oct 2 17:02:41 CEST 2006

Peter Soccar wrote:

>I'm new to mailman, and I'm asked to find a way to add a new administrative role in addition to the existing roles: (owner, moderator)
>
>i.e. I need to create something like "semi-owner" or "advanced-moderator" that is to have some of the owners rights beside the moderators right

This has been discussed before on this list. See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.018.htp>
for information on searching the archives.

Basically, if you want to keep the current roles as opposed to
modifying one of the existing roles, you will need to implement a new
script (a restricted version of admin), compile a CGI wrapper to
invoke it and add an additional password attribute to validate this
role and modify the existing admin General and Password pages to
support this role and its password. This may not be a complete list.

You could probably avoid adding a new script and CGI wrapper by
modifying the existing admin script to not show things based on which
password was used to login. This might be the simplest approach,
particularly if all you wanted to do was eliminate certain whole pages
from the restricted interface.