[Mailman-Users] request.pck does not match heldmsg-Listname files

Ivan Fetch ifetch at du.edu
Tue Nov 21 21:04:27 CET 2006

Hi Mark,

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> Ivan Fetch
>>
>> On Thu, 16 Nov 2006, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not aware of anything that has been written to check for/remove
>>> orphaned heldmsg-list-* files, but if the request.pck is empty
>>> (i.e.contains only the version info), you can just remove any
>>> heldmsg-list-* files either directly or with bin/delete.
>>
>>    It seems bin/delete generates an error when it can't find the file
>> referenced in the list's request.pck.  Perhaps an option to discard which
>> deletes the heldmsg file in cases like this (maybe this is something I'll
>> work on after our Mailman upgrade).
>

> So the immediate solution is to just rm the heldmsg-list-* files that
> aren't referenced in config.pck rather than using bin/discard.
>
> Another possible solution is to teach bin/discard to catch the
> exception and ignore it.
>
> The real question though is how does this come about in the first
> place. Is this a one time glitch resulting from some particular event,
> or is it a recurring situation. If the latter, it might be worth
> creating a script to find and delete the orphaned heldmsg-* files, but
> the real solution is to figure out why it's happening and fix that.

    My plan is to upgrade to 2.1.9, clean the heldmsg* files which are not
referenced in lists' request.pck, then see whether we end up with any more
un-accounted for heldmsg* files.

    We have had some issues with 2.1.5 queue runners freezing due (we
think) to big5 characters in email subjects, although I don't know whether
this could cause request.pck not to be updated.

Thanks - Ivan.