[Mailman-Users] request.pck does not match heldmsg-Listname files

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Nov 21 19:45:13 CET 2006

Ivan Fetch

>On Thu, 16 Nov 2006, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>
>> I'm not aware of anything that has been written to check for/remove
>> orphaned heldmsg-list-* files, but if the request.pck is empty
>> (i.e.contains only the version info), you can just remove any
>> heldmsg-list-* files either directly or with bin/delete.
>
>    It seems bin/delete generates an error when it can't find the file
>referenced in the list's request.pck.  Perhaps an option to discard which
>deletes the heldmsg file in cases like this (maybe this is something I'll
>work on after our Mailman upgrade).

So the immediate solution is to just rm the heldmsg-list-* files that
aren't referenced in config.pck rather than using bin/discard.

Another possible solution is to teach bin/discard to catch the
exception and ignore it.

The real question though is how does this come about in the first
place. Is this a one time glitch resulting from some particular event,
or is it a recurring situation. If the latter, it might be worth
creating a script to find and delete the orphaned heldmsg-* files, but
the real solution is to figure out why it's happening and fix that.