[Mailman-Users] Changing host name for email (Fedora Core 5)

Steven Ulrick ulricksteven at hotmail.com
Fri May 19 05:48:42 CEST 2006

Hello, Everyone
I have been making a few fledgling attempts at learning how to set up
mailing lists using Mailman.  In fact, I have one that I have created
for the use of friends of our cat.....  Like I said, I'm just figuring
out how to do it.
When I initially set up that list (and in all of my other, and
subsequent attempts), my domain was incorrectly listed as:
afolkey2 at xx-xxx-xxx-xxx.client.insightbb.com

As a result, I could submit my request for membership to the list, I
could even get the message that I am supposed to confirm before I
become an official member.  But I could not send the email back,
since xx-xxx-xxx-xxx.client.insightbb.com is not the name of my
domain.  It is the correct IP/machine name for our computer, but
afolkey2.net is my fully qualified domain name.
With a little fiddling around on the web interface for my
linus-speaks mailing list, I successfully changed the setting:
"Host name this list prefers for email. " from
"xx-xxx-xxx-xxx.client.insightbb.com" to the correct "afolkey2.net"
Since then, my "list" has been fully functional.

But now I cannot duplicate that success.  When I experimented with
creating another list (expecting the above described issue), I again
went to the web interface to change
"xx-xxx-xxx-xxx.client.insightbb.com" to "afolkey2.net"
This time, it failed with the following error:
Server not found
Firefox can't find the server at 12-223-130-240.client.insightbb.com.
    *   Check the address for typing errors such as
          ww.example.com instead of
          www.example.com
    *   If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
          connection.
    *   If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy,
make sure
          that Bon Echo is permitted to access the Web.

With this error in the browser, the url in the address bar was as follows:
http://**-***-***-***.client.insightbb.com/mailman/admin/afolkey3/general
http://www.afolkey2.net/mailman/admin/afolkey3/general

So I did what I did before with the linus-speaks list: I changed
http://**-***-***-***.client.insightbb.com/mailman/admin/afolkey3/general
http://www.afolkey2.net/mailman/admin/afolkey3/general

This brought back the afolkey3 list configuration page.  So I again
attempted to change:
"xx-xxx-xxx-xxx.client.insightbb.com"
to the correct "afolkey2.net"

Same error.

So my question is, how come I could change the "Host name this list
prefers for email. " setting before, but I can't now?  I initially set
up both lists using the /usr/lib/mailman/bin/newlist command.

This brings up a related question: when I attempted to create a new
list from the following page:
http://www.afolkey2.net/mailman/create

I was informed as follows: "Error: You are not authorized to create new
mailing lists"
This seemed odd, since the mailman password is the same as my root
password.  (I know, I NEED to get more diverse in my passwords.)  The
point is, how can I have any more authority to creat a list than I
already have?

Anyway, I am a real noob with Mailman.  But I believe that as soon as I
get a few fundamental principles down, I will be just fine.  Also, my
perusal of your extensive FAQ's and documentation didn't turn up an
answer to this, probably very simple, problem.  Not that the answers
weren't there, but I couldn't find them.
Also, I have downloaded the entire mailman-users archives, and I will
peruse those while I wait for your wisdom on this.

Steven P. Ulrick

P.S.: Just to prove that I do have a functioning list, check out this URL:
Also, the Mailman that I am using is the one that ships with Fedora
Core 5: mailman-2.1.7-1.2