[Mailman-Users] Changing host name for email (Fedora Core 5)

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri May 19 06:46:21 CEST 2006

Steven Ulrick wrote:

>So my question is, how come I could change the "Host name this list
>prefers for email. " setting before, but I can't now?  I initially set
>up both lists using the /usr/lib/mailman/bin/newlist command.

Possibly you specified a web domain the first time and not this time.
The problem is the list attribute web_page_url is
http://**-***-***-***.client.insightbb.com/mailman/ and needs to be
changed. Changing the domain in the address bar in the browser doesn't
work because it's the "post action" url in the web page that you go to
when you click "Save Changes".

Go to the FAQ at <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py> and search
for fix_url.

>This brings up a related question: when I attempted to create a new
>list from the following page:
>http://www.afolkey2.net/mailman/create
>
>I was informed as follows: "Error: You are not authorized to create new
>mailing lists"

There are two passwords that work for authorizing the 'create' page.
They are the Mailman site password and the list creator password, both
set by bin/mmsitepass. One of these two needs to be entered in the
"List creator's (authentication) password:" box. If this doesn't work,
the browser/web server is not sending the post data correctly from the
form. See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.045.htp>.