[Mailman-Users] mailman + Postfix - posts appear in archive but arenot delivered

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu May 11 16:38:55 CEST 2006

Michael McAndrew wrote:

>But, when an email is posted
>to a list, it is not received by recipients.  It is placed in the Mailman
>archive, though, and there are no obvious signs of trouble in the logs I've
>looked in.
>
>Everything seems normal in mailman's SMTP log:
>May 11 13:11:40 2006 (2237) <
>mailman.3.1147349497.2235.michael at list.vawcvs.org> smtp to michael for 1
>recips, completed in 0.038 seconds

This says it was successfully delivered to Postfix.

>And as far as I can tell, Postfix hasn't had any problems either (from
>Postfix's maillog):
>May 11 13:11:42 list postfix/smtp[10675]: 33504BD81B5: to=<
>michaelmcandrew at gmail.com>, relay=gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[64.233.183.27],
>delay=2, status=sent (250 2.0.0 OK 1147349502 c28si796656nfb)
>May 11 13:11:42 list postfix/qmgr[10493]: 33504BD81B5: removed

And Postfix is saying it sent the mail to gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com
for michaelmcandrew at gmail.com and received confirmation (250 2.0.0 OK
1147349502 c28si796656nfb) from that server.

>But still, the email doesn't reach the recipients.  I'm pretty sure it isn't
>a problem with communication between the server and the destination email
>account, as I can successfully send them an email using telnet to access
>Postfix on the mailing list server.
>
>The mailing list used in the example above was created with bin/newlist
>command, with no extra configuration.  I have a number of other lists set
>up, but the  problem is repeated with all of them.  I would put it down to a
>problem outside mailman, but the thing is that the mailman admin emails get
>through.

It definitely seems to be outside of Mailman and even your local
Postfix. Since it only affects posts, it seems it must have something
to do specifically with the sender, headers or body of the post itself.

One thing that may be different is the envelope sender if you are using
Mailman virtual hosts. In this case, (un-VERPed) list mail will have
an envelope sender of listname-bounces at list.domain, but some
administrative messages may be sent by
mailman-bounces at DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST. See
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2006-April/050706.html>
which is not exactly relevant to your situation, but may be
interesting.