[Mailman-Users] mailman + Postfix - posts appear in archive but are not delivered

Michael McAndrew michaelmcandrew at gmail.com
Thu May 11 15:22:31 CEST 2006

Hi there,

Thanks to those that answered my previous post.  I am very nearly at the
stage of having a working mailman mailing list server!

Mailman appears to be functioning normally.  Checkperms yeilds no errors.
My mail server is working, and I can send and receive administrative emails
using my email client and the web interface.  But, when an email is posted
to a list, it is not received by recipients.  It is placed in the Mailman
archive, though, and there are no obvious signs of trouble in the logs I've
looked in.

Everything seems normal in mailman's SMTP log:
May 11 13:11:40 2006 (2237) <
mailman.3.1147349497.2235.michael at list.vawcvs.org> smtp to michael for 1
recips, completed in 0.038 seconds

And as far as I can tell, Postfix hasn't had any problems either (from
Postfix's maillog):
May 11 13:11:42 list postfix/smtp[10675]: 33504BD81B5: to=<
michaelmcandrew at gmail.com>, relay=gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[64.233.183.27],
delay=2, status=sent (250 2.0.0 OK 1147349502 c28si796656nfb)
May 11 13:11:42 list postfix/qmgr[10493]: 33504BD81B5: removed

But still, the email doesn't reach the recipients.  I'm pretty sure it isn't
a problem with communication between the server and the destination email
account, as I can successfully send them an email using telnet to access
Postfix on the mailing list server.

The mailing list used in the example above was created with bin/newlist
command, with no extra configuration.  I have a number of other lists set
up, but the  problem is repeated with all of them.  I would put it down to a
problem outside mailman, but the thing is that the mailman admin emails get
through.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,
Michael