[Mailman-Users] Bounce processing doesn't work

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Mar 3 00:02:26 CET 2006

Andre Tann

>I have set up a mailing list with about 500 addresses. Everything
>woks fine, except the bounce processing. Mailman does not recognise
>one single bounce.

Are you sure? Are there no entries at all in the 'bounce' log other
than the 'unrecognized' ones.

>It sends a mail to me instead which says:
<unrecognized bounce snipped>

>I have set up mailman to deliver fully personalised mails, which
>means every mail to the mailing list is delivered 500 times, and
>the corresponding email address appears in the To-header.

Since you already have enabled full personalization for the list, you
can at no extra cost set

VERP_PERSONALIZED_DELIVERIES = Yes

in mm_cfg.py to enhance bounce recognition.

>Does anyone have an idea what the reason might be why mailman
>doesn't process the boundes? For me as a human being it is no
>problem to see in the attached message which address has bounced.

Are the bounce notices returned as unrecognized in English? Not the
text from Mailman which is in your list language, but the actual
attached bounce.

If you forward one or more of the actual bounce notices, we can see
what the recognition issue is and update the bounce recognizers if
necessary. Without the intact actual bounce, we can't tell you
anything.