[Mailman-Users] archives has bad group of list, how to fix?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Jul 29 01:22:58 CEST 2006

Dragon wrote:

>Jana Nguyen sent the message below at 14:02 7/28/2006:
>>Hi there,
>>
>>I ran the "bin/check_perms script" and got the following output to be
>>fix, I'm not sure what is the problem, and how to fix it:
>>
>>/usr/local/mailman/archives/public/birntest bad group (has: jnguyen,
>>expected mailman) (fixing)
>>
>>p.s. 'jnguyen' is my username.
>---------------- End original message. ---------------------
>
>Did you run the script with the -f option to fix the problems it found?

the '(fixing)' notation says 'yes', but this is very puzzling in a
couple of ways.

What Mailman version is this? In current versions at least,
bin/check_perms doesn't check archives/public/*. Also,
/usr/local/mailman/archives/public/birntest should be a symlink to
/usr/local/mailman/archives/private/birntest, and its ownership and
permissions shouldn't matter as it's those of the target that count.

The bottom line is cane you access the public archives for this list
via a 'pipermail' URL. If so, you don't have a problem.