[Mailman-Users] Retrieving member list

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Dec 20 06:17:57 CET 2006

Greg Wilkinson wrote:

>I am a list administrator but I am not a member of the list.  The list
>viewing option is set to all members.  When I send the email command
>"who <admpassword>" to the list, it is rejected with the "You are not
>allowed to retrieve the list membership." error message.  One would
>think the list administrator would have access to the list whether on
>the list or not.

Yes, that's true, and you can, but when the roster is restricted to
'members' you must supply a member address. This is probably a bug,
but you can get the email list as admin in this case with

  who <adminpassword> address=<any_members_address>

You can also get the same list at

  http://example.com/mailman/roster/listname

or whatever that looks like in your installation, but neither of these
lists contains 'hidden' members.

See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.062.htp>
for ways to get the full list.