[Mailman-Users] Can't login mailman list admin web

Anne Ramey anne.ramey at ncmail.net
Wed Dec 6 20:14:06 CET 2006

    Mark Sapiro wrote:

    Stanley Chen wrote:

>     >
>     >Recently we have sent out several mails to this list, and it's still
>     >running.

    What is still running? Is Mailman still sending to the MTA?

>     >However, we can't login to the admin webpage. After we input password,
>     >the page was loading as shown in the status bar, but after several
>     >minutes still can't show the admin page and finally it said "page can't
>     >be loaded".

    Seems like the list may be locked. If so, and the lock is stale, you
    can manually remove the lock from Mailman's locks/ directory, but
    first be sure it isn't locked by some current process.

Sounds to me like the server is just too busy for the web to respond
before the browser time-out.  I used to get this all the time on my
100K-500K member list sendings.  If a message was still being
sent/processed, the web site would not respond, or would respond very
slowly.  It is generally the case that servers consider other task,
including smtp, a higher priority than http requests.  This can cause
http requests to time out if the server resources are otherwise occupied.

--

Anne