[Mailman-Users] conversion (from Listproc)

Rob Dewhirst dewey at ku.edu
Tue Dec 12 02:59:10 CET 2006

On Dec 7, 2006, at 11:14 AM, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> Melinda wrote:
>
>> I could use some pointers in my conversion from Listproc to Mailman.

> This question is so broad as to be almost beyond the scope of this
> list. I'll just say a few things.
>
> List archives need to be exported as a flat file in *nix mbox format,
> and this can be used to create a Mailman archive.

LISTPROC can't deliver its archives in this format (AFAIK), so there
will be munging involved.

Personally, I would ask if someone using a mbox mail app to read the
list (Pine, Thunderbird, Eudora, etc) has a complete archive of the
list, and use their archive file as a basis for importing into
mailman instead of trying to use the INDex and GET file commands in
LISTPROC to access the old archives.

If LISTPROC archive files are anything like LISTSERV notebook files,
I posted a message a couple of months back to the list outlining how
to convert them.

I converted from LISTSERV (though I use LISTPROC for work as well) to
Mailman this year, and the biggest problem is user subscription and
list options though, not archives.  I would suspect the same is true
for LISTPROC.

It would help to know a little more about Melinda's list -- its
general settings, number of subscribers, and even if it has
archives.  It's pretty easy to translate the results of a REView
command to a mailman list settings unless the list has some very
strange settings.