[Mailman-Users] Can't send messages to list

Eric Howland eric.howland at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 19:06:44 CEST 2006

On 8/30/06, Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> wrote:
> Patrick Bogen wrote:
>
> >On 8/30/06, Eric Howland <eric.howland at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I thought I have another machine that can act as a mail server (and is
> >> also running postfix) maybe I could get it to sent the mail. Since I
> >> am running
> >> DELIVERY_MODULE = 'SMTPDirect'
> >
> >Are you sure that the machine in question is configured to (a) listen
> >on its external IP address (rather than just localhost), and (b) to
> >accept mail coming from elsewhere and destined for elsewhere? (In most
> >distribution-installed postfixen, these two things are NOT the default
> >behaviour, so far as I know. They may be offered by the automatic
> >configuration (Debian does this), but that still requires some degree
> >of intention by the person installing the software.)
>

> I don't think (b) is the reason as in this case, the MTA would accept
> the connect and the start of the SMTP transaction as it wouldn't know
> it was a 'relay' until 'RCPT'.
>
> In any case, this appears to be an issue with Postfix configuration on
> '123.456.789.6'.
>
> What happens if you
>
> telnet 123.456.789.6 25
>
> from your Mailman box?

Yes this set me on the right path. I did have mynetworks_style and
later mynetworks set correctly but I misread the instructions and
inet_interfaces  was not, in my distribution, set at the default but
limited to localhost just as Patrick said.

After that it was all downhill. I still do not understand what is
wrong with postfix on the original machine but this gives me some
breathing room and clarifies things a bit.

Thanks for your help.