[Mailman-Users] Can't send messages to list

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Aug 30 16:44:51 CEST 2006

Patrick Bogen wrote:

>On 8/30/06, Eric Howland <eric.howland at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I thought I have another machine that can act as a mail server (and is
>> also running postfix) maybe I could get it to sent the mail. Since I
>> am running
>> DELIVERY_MODULE = 'SMTPDirect'
>
>Are you sure that the machine in question is configured to (a) listen
>on its external IP address (rather than just localhost), and (b) to
>accept mail coming from elsewhere and destined for elsewhere? (In most
>distribution-installed postfixen, these two things are NOT the default
>behaviour, so far as I know. They may be offered by the automatic
>configuration (Debian does this), but that still requires some degree
>of intention by the person installing the software.)

I don't think (b) is the reason as in this case, the MTA would accept
the connect and the start of the SMTP transaction as it wouldn't know
it was a 'relay' until 'RCPT'.

In any case, this appears to be an issue with Postfix configuration on
'123.456.789.6'.

What happens if you

telnet 123.456.789.6 25

from your Mailman box?