[Mailman-Users] Log entries refer to which list?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Aug 25 17:55:30 CEST 2006

Allan Trick wrote:

>I was trying to determine if a message was sent to the lists it
>should have been sent to, and see two different types of entries in
>my SMTP log:
>
>>Aug 24 16:23:57 2006 (18946)
>><6.2.3.4.2.20060824161925.02ded760 at mail.prin.edu> smtp for 41
>>recips, completed in 8.864 seconds

This is a delivery of one message to the subscribers of one list with
41 eligible recipients.

>>Aug 24 16:23:58 2006 (18946)
>><mailman.0.1156454519.18944.2012 at mail.prin.edu> smtp for 1 recips,
>>completed in 0.296 seconds

This is an internally generated mailman message (you can tell by the
form of the message ID). It could be an owner or user notification of
some kind.

>Does the first line indicate the sending of a message to one list,
>which has 41 members?  Is there one line like this per list that
>receives a message?  If so, how does one determine which list that is?

Yes. Look in the 'post' log whose entries have message ID and list
name. You can correlate thes with 'smtp' log entries by message ID or
in the case of posts to multiple lists with the same message ID, by
timestamp.

Note that current Mailman versions include the list name in the smtp
log message.

You can do the same in your version by putting the following in
mm_cfg.py

SMTP_LOG_EVERY_MESSAGE = (
    'smtp',
    '%(msg_message-id)s smtp to %(listname)s for %(#recips)d recips,
completed in %(time).3f seconds')

(this is 3 lines, the last of which is wrapped by my MUA).

>And what would the difference be in the second example?  I'm guessing
>that is referring to maybe an umbrella list that was sent to.

See above.