[Mailman-Users] Log entries refer to which list?

Oleg D. perl at ipchains.ru
Fri Aug 25 18:03:11 CEST 2006

Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Allan Trick wrote:
>

>> I was trying to determine if a message was sent to the lists it
>> should have been sent to, and see two different types of entries in
>> my SMTP log:
>>

>>> Aug 24 16:23:57 2006 (18946)
>>> <6.2.3.4.2.20060824161925.02ded760 at mail.prin.edu> smtp for 41
>>> recips, completed in 8.864 seconds
>>>

> This is a delivery of one message to the subscribers of one list with
> 41 eligible recipients.
>

>>> Aug 24 16:23:58 2006 (18946)
>>> <mailman.0.1156454519.18944.2012 at mail.prin.edu> smtp for 1 recips,
>>> completed in 0.296 seconds
>>>

> This is an internally generated mailman message (you can tell by the
> form of the message ID). It could be an owner or user notification of
> some kind.
>

>> Does the first line indicate the sending of a message to one list,
>> which has 41 members?  Is there one line like this per list that
>> receives a message?  If so, how does one determine which list that is?
>>

> Yes. Look in the 'post' log whose entries have message ID and list
> name. You can correlate thes with 'smtp' log entries by message ID or
> in the case of posts to multiple lists with the same message ID, by
> timestamp.
>
> Note that current Mailman versions include the list name in the smtp
> log message.
>
> You can do the same in your version by putting the following in
> mm_cfg.py
>
> SMTP_LOG_EVERY_MESSAGE = (
>     'smtp',
>     '%(msg_message-id)s smtp to %(listname)s for %(#recips)d recips,
> completed in %(time).3f seconds')
>
> (this is 3 lines, the last of which is wrapped by my MUA).
>

>> And what would the difference be in the second example?  I'm guessing
>> that is referring to maybe an umbrella list that was sent to.
>>

> See above.

So looking thru this message I figure out that mailman has no any tool
to be more ``friendly with verbose''.
This i mean, ``exim'' has such a tool like `exigrep' helping me surfing
thru logs by ID and parsing out all info about delivery (or error) on
that ID.
I mean I do `exigrep 'foo.diman' /var/log/exim_mainlog` and it greps
'foo.domain' (or other PATTERN) parses out Message-ID and greps
everything that has this Message-ID from same log file...

--
Oleg D.

--
don't believe every word people use to say, they might be wrong.

an undefined problem has infinitive number of solutions.