[Mailman-Users] Implicit Destination

John W. Baxter jwblist at olympus.net
Wed May 4 22:40:45 CEST 2005

On 5/4/2005 9:44, "chardlist" <chardlist at chard.net> wrote:

> I have a MM 2.1.5 server with 40 lists that are operating perfectly with the
> exception of 1 user and it's got me stumped.  She is writing to the list and
> placing the list address in the To: field, yet all of her messages are being
> held for moderator approval citing "Message has implicit" destination.
>
> What are all of the circumstances that could cause the message to be held
> for this reason despite the fact that she appears to be properly addressing
> the messages?
>
> The only theory I'm working on right now is that her e-mail client is
> perhaps formatting the messages incorrectly in the to: field.  They show up
> like this in the archives once they've been approved:
>
> To: "'Listname \(E-mail\)" <'listname at domain.com'>
>

> I'm noticing the extra apostrophe before the listname and I suspect that she
> has either created a contact entry or a contact group entry in her mail
> program for the list.

Well, the extra appostrophe--I'm pretty sure--makes the To: header invalid
(per mail RFCs).  I say "pretty sure" since the variety of valid address
forms boggles the mind--or at least this mind.

So it would appear that the Mailman code doesn't find a *valid* list address
in the To: header, so it ignores what is there.

Good luck getting her to fix it...ISPs waste a lot of support time on bogus
Address Book entries.

  --John