[Mailman-Users] convert text/html problem...

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Mar 16 21:43:10 CET 2005

Nathan K. Stazewski wrote:

>I am running mailman 2.1.4 on OS X.  We were running into a problem that
>sometimes the footer was being seen as an attachment instead of as an actual
>footer.  I read these lists and found a nice work around was to convert
>text/html e-mails to plain text.  I did this and now the footer is always
>visible.
<snip>

>After playing with the "Remove message attachments that don't." section I
>got his e-mails to come through, but now the main body is blank.  If he CCs
>me, I can see the text in the CC, but the version coming through mailman is
>blank except the footer.  If he sends a plaintext e-mail it comes through
>fine, but shouldn't mailman be converting his html e-mails into plaintext?
>Any ideas why it's not converting the html properly?  I feel like somehow
>the content filtering is taking out the text/html and then trying to
>convert.but it doesn't look like it should be.

Check your Mailman error logs for errors involving the conversion.

The default setting (don't know if this applies to OSX) for the
conversion command is:

HTML_TO_PLAIN_TEXT_COMMAND = '/usr/bin/lynx -dump %(filename)s'

Whatever this command writes to stdout is what you get. This command
probably isn't working in your environment. If that's the case, you'll
have to find something that does.