[Mailman-Users] lists/create screen

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Jul 19 22:10:39 CEST 2005

Forrest Aldrich wrote:

>I have a new mailman instance set up - via a proxied connection.   I've
>since found that doing it this way is more complex (but not my
>choice).   Several items need to be addressed.   Another one I found was
>this on the screen for lists/create:
>

>        our.internal.host.net:10000 mailing lists - Admin Links
>
>    Welcome!
>
>    There currently are no publicly-advertised Mailman
>    <http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/index.html> mailing lists on
>    our.internal.host.net:10000.To visit the administrators
>    configuration page for an unadvertised list, open a URL similar to
>    this one, but with a '/' and the list name appended. If you have the
>    proper authority, you can also create a new mailing list
>    <http://gr1.sca.manyone.net:10016/lists/create>.
>
>    General list information can be found at the mailing list overview
>    page <http://gr1.sca.manyone.net:10016/lists/listinfo>.
>
>    (Send questions and comments to mailman at our.internal.host.net:10000
>    <mailto:mailman at gr1.sca.manyone.net:10016>.)
>

>I'm not sure if this is a simple template that needs to be edited or if
>there's a more eloquent way to get these links to reflect the proper
>external links/hosts we want people to "see".

I think you have a real problem here. I hope you are not trying to use
virtual hosts too as that will really complicate things.  Assuming
not, set

VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW = Off

in mm_cfg.py. This will allow all public lists to at least appear on
the listinfo and admin overview pages.

As far as the host names our.internal.host.net:10000 and
gr1.sca.manyone.net:10016 in the above are concerned, I'm confused.
These should not be different (unless you've changed
DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN replacing %s with gr1.sca.manyone.net:10016) as
they both are obtained from Utils.get_domain().

Anyway, these come from the environment variables HTTP_HOST or
SERVER_NAME and are the actual host name which would be the real host,
not the proxy. To make these be the proxy, I think you'd have to hack
Mailman/Cgi/admin.py where this page is built on the fly (not from
template) or better, change Mailman/Utils.py to always return the name
of the proxy - you could at least make it an mm_cfg.py variable.