[Mailman-Users] Content Filtering - Reject

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Tue Jul 12 16:21:53 CEST 2005

At 10:06 AM -0400 2005-07-12, CL-Admin wrote:

>             My filter settings are Yes - image/bmp, image/gif, image/jpeg,
>  image/png, image/tiff.  for image types and multipart/mixed,
>  multipart/alternative, text/plain, application/pgp-signature,
>  multipart/signed, text/html, message/rfc822 for remove message
>  attachments.

	Keep in mind that you can either have an "allow" list, or a
"reject" list, but you cannot have both.  Pick a set of MIME types
that you want to allow (leaving the other field empty), and
everything else will get thrown away.  Or, pick a set of MIME types
that you want to disallow (leaving the other field empty), and
everything else will go through.  But you can't fill in values in
both fields.

>  My question is it possible to get a notification sent to the administrator
>  in addition to the rejecting of these posts.  If so how is it done, do I
>  have to get the hosting company to change the configuration files.

	If you choose "Forward to List Owner" instead of "Reject" or
"Discard", then you will get a notice when messages are filtered.  Of
course, this means that you'll probably get a copy of just about
every single message sent to the list, which I doubt is something
that you want.

>  Information question - should I be pushing the hosting company to upgrade
>  to the latest version of Mailman?

	Depends on what they're using.  Generally speaking, running the
most recent -RELEASE version is a good idea.  New features are added,
bugs are squashed, security holes are closed, etc....

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755