[Mailman-Users] cron for which user?

John W. Baxter jwblist at olympus.net
Sat Jan 29 00:25:17 CET 2005

On 1/28/2005 8:43, "Larry Stone" <lstone19 at stonejongleux.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005, Glen Low wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I had followed the Mac OS X install instructions at
>> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2004-September/
>> 039600.html which say to install the crontab under su -- is that
>> correct? should not the crontab be under the mailman user instead?
>
> Well, as the author of those instructions, all I can say is it works as
> written and that those instructions are part of the original instructions
> that I did not write but incorporated into my updated procedure. So if you
> think there's a more correct way to do it, try it and let us know if it
> works.

In Mac OS X (and fairly commonly elsewhere, but I don't claim everywhere), a
non-privileged user can execute the crontab command fine but can't use the
-u username option.

So if you can become the mailman user you could run the command that
way...or run it as root using -u, or run
sudo crontab -u mailman blah blah

(I have had no need to enable the root account, and my Mac OS X time goes
back to day 1 of 10.0).

I have not installed Mailman on Mac OS X, nor used the Mailman which Apple
mangles and installs in Server.

  ---John