[Mailman-Users] moderation / hold does not work

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Mon Jan 17 11:14:37 CET 2005

At 10:57 AM +0100 2005-01-17, Peter Schneider-Kamp wrote:

>  I am using Mailman 2.1.5 with apache 1.3.26 for the
>  web interface, sendmail 8.12.3 for the MTA on a
>  Debian stable system. The setup for the web interface
>  is standard (/mailman and /pipermail, straight from
>  the manual).

	Well, "/mailman" and "/pipermail" are not what I would consider
standard locations for these things.  Standard locations would all be
under "/usr/local/mailman".  Anything else is non-standard, at least
as far as Mailman is concerned.

	Note that the mail/mailing list server for python.org (which
hosts the mailman-users mailing list) is configured very similarly,
the only major difference being that we use postfix instead of
sendmail for our MTA.  In reality, this difference really isn't
significant, at least as far as the operations of Mailman are
concerned -- one MTA should not really be any different from any
other MTA, so long as they do the same basic things.

>  Sending a message from a non-member address
>  the message is delivered correctly to mailman:
>
>  Jan 17 11:33:49 tutnix sm-mta[20231]: j0HAXnVf020231:
>  from=<nowoonder at yahoo.com>, size=1828, class=0, nrcpts=1,
>  msgid=<20050117094108.88207.qmail at web53908.mail.yahoo.com>, proto=
>  ESMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=ms-2.rz.RWTH-Aachen.DE [134.130.3.131]
>  Jan 17 11:33:50 tutnix sm-mta[20232]: j0HAXnVf020231:
>  to="|/home/mailman/mail/mailman post mailman",
>  ctladdr=<mailman at tutnix.aegee.rwth-aachen.de> (8/0), delay=00:00:01,
>  xdelay=0
>  0:00:01, mailer=prog, pri=32075, dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent
>
>  Neither a moderation message is sent to the owner nor
>  are there any pending moderation requests in the web
>  interface. I cannot find any heldmsg*-files, too.

	So, does this message get posted to the list, or does it just disappear?

	At this point, I'm not sure what I can tell you.  I administer or
co-administer Mailman installations at a few different sites, and
everywhere I do that, using "Moderation" works just fine.

	There's something strange going on at your site, but without more
information, I can't begin to guess what that is.  As a starting
point, I would suggest that you try the debugging recommendations at
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.014.htp>.
Your problem is slightly different, but the debugging procedures are
the same.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755