[Mailman-Users] Fetchmail? + mailmain + SMTP on different servers

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Jan 14 05:40:51 CET 2005

Glen Low wrote:

>OK, is there some trivial MTA I can run e.g. procmail, would that be
>suitable? How does Mailman actually retrieve the email meant to be sent
>to list at domain.com anyway?

Usually, the incoming MTA at domain.com runs on the same or a tightly
coupled server as Mailman and via aliases pipes the incoming mail to
mailman wrappers.

e.g. mail to list at domain.com is piped to
.../mailman/mail/mailman post list
mail to list-admin at domain.com is piped to
.../mailman/mail/mailman admin list
and similarly for list-bounces, -confirm, -join, -leave, -owner,
-request, -subscribe and -unsubscribe.

If the MTA runs elsewhere and you can retrieve the incoming mail with
fetchmail and run it through procmail, you can use procmail to pipe it
to the wrapper appropriately.

Here's a skeleton of what we actually use in .procmailrc for a list
named LISTNAME

# Earlier in .procmailrc

EnvelopeTo = $1

# LISTNAME mailman list....
:E
* EnvelopeTo ?? ^LISTNAME$
|sudo -u mailman /www/grizz/mailman/mail/mailman post LISTNAME
:E
* EnvelopeTo ?? ^LISTNAME-admin$
|sudo -u mailman /www/grizz/mailman/mail/mailman admin LISTNAME
:E
* EnvelopeTo ?? ^LISTNAME-bounces$
|sudo -u mailman /www/grizz/mailman/mail/mailman bounces LISTNAME
:E
* EnvelopeTo ?? ^LISTNAME-confirm$
|sudo -u mailman /www/grizz/mailman/mail/mailman confirm LISTNAME
:E
* EnvelopeTo ?? ^LISTNAME-join$
|sudo -u mailman /www/grizz/mailman/mail/mailman join LISTNAME
:E
* EnvelopeTo ?? ^LISTNAME-leave$
|sudo -u mailman /www/grizz/mailman/mail/mailman leave LISTNAME
:E
* EnvelopeTo ?? ^LISTNAME-owner$
|sudo -u mailman /www/grizz/mailman/mail/mailman owner LISTNAME
:E
* EnvelopeTo ?? ^LISTNAME-request$
|sudo -u mailman /www/grizz/mailman/mail/mailman request LISTNAME
:E
* EnvelopeTo ?? ^LISTNAME-subscribe$
|sudo -u mailman /www/grizz/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe LISTNAME
:E
* EnvelopeTo ?? ^LISTNAME-unsubscribe$