[Mailman-Users] Fetchmail? + mailmain + SMTP on different servers

Glen Low glen.low at pixelglow.com
Wed Jan 12 13:26:12 CET 2005

On 12/01/2005, at 7:35 PM, Sythos wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 07:05:25PM +0800, Glen Low wrote:
>> I want to set up a list list at domain.com, but run Mailman on my own
>> servers. Presumeably I need to get fetchmail to retrieve the email via
>> POP and pass it onto Mailman, but how to configure this? Is this
>> possible NOT to run any MTA on my own server?
>
> You need a MTA anyway, correctly configured (i suggest postfix).
> Fetchmail do only one job, get email from remote pop3/imap and pass it
> to local MTA, so, if you install a MTa end configured it as specified
> in
> MM documentation, you haven't any kind of problem.

OK, is there some trivial MTA I can run e.g. procmail, would that be
suitable? How does Mailman actually retrieve the email meant to be sent
to list at domain.com anyway?

> If you have a static IP (and only if you have one) and a flat
> connection
> you can evaluate a dynamic 2° level domain like yourname.homelinux.com,
> don't do this if you have a dinamic ip or if your server isn't
> connected
> 24h/24h.
>
> If you CANNOT install any MTA I think is impossible to run MM...

Well I'm seriously thinking of it. I'm just wary of the whole business
of leaving a SMTP server open on the Internet.

Cheers, Glen Low

---
pixelglow software | simply brilliant stuff
www.pixelglow.com