[Mailman-Users] Fetchmail? + mailmain + SMTP on different servers

Glen Low glen.low at pixelglow.com
Fri Jan 14 11:25:23 CET 2005

On 14/01/2005, at 12:40 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:

> Glen Low wrote:
>>
>> OK, is there some trivial MTA I can run e.g. procmail, would that be
>> suitable? How does Mailman actually retrieve the email meant to be
>> sent
>> to list at domain.com anyway?
>
> Usually, the incoming MTA at domain.com runs on the same or a tightly
> coupled server as Mailman and via aliases pipes the incoming mail to
> mailman wrappers.
>
> e.g. mail to list at domain.com is piped to
> .../mailman/mail/mailman post list
> mail to list-admin at domain.com is piped to
> .../mailman/mail/mailman admin list
> and similarly for list-bounces, -confirm, -join, -leave, -owner,
> -request, -subscribe and -unsubscribe.
>
> If the MTA runs elsewhere and you can retrieve the incoming mail with
> fetchmail and run it through procmail, you can use procmail to pipe it
> to the wrapper appropriately.

Thanks that was very helpful, shall try to see if that works.

More qns, especially since you seem to have the same sort of setup:

1.	Can I get Mailman to send mail to an SMTP server on another machine?
2.	Does Mailman require a FQDN for itself? (If I don't run a full MTA
then it seems to me I don't need to have a domain name or static IP.)
3.	The CGI's that serve as the web interface, do they require that the
rest of the Mailman machinery be on the same machine?

Cheers, Glen Low

---
pixelglow software | simply brilliant stuff
www.pixelglow.com