[Mailman-Users] How can our MM site admin see unadvertisedlists via web interface?

Matt Emerson rme at grc.nasa.gov
Wed Aug 10 16:46:37 CEST 2005

Steve Rifkin <steve410 at cs.jhu.edu> writes:

> I'd have to have a list available to me (we could
> potentially have dozens of lists made where the list admins would
> choose whether to advertise the list or not), and I was hoping I'd
> have that list available through a password-protected webpage,
> especially since there are other pages that require the site admin
> to log in within Mailman (specific list maintenance, etc.)

I wrote a nasty script to generate an HTML file that lists all the
lists.

I run it daily from cron because I didn't want to monkey around with a
setuid mailman CGI program.

Use your web server to restrict access to the generated HTML file as
appropriate.

Here's an example.  Customize as required.  Works for me; it might
work for you.

#!/usr/bin/perl
# Create a web page from the output of the Mailman list_lists command.

$cmd="/usr/share/mailman/bin/list_lists";

open LISTINFO, "$cmd |" or die "cannot run $cmd: $!\n";

print '
<head>
<title>Mailing lists</title>
.shaded {background: #EEEEEE;}
</head>
<h1>Mailing lists</h1>
';

$rownumber = 0;
$headerline = <LISTINFO>;
while (<LISTINFO>) {
    chop;
    ($listname, $description) = split / - /;
    $listname =~ s/^\s+//;
    if ($rownumber % 2) {
        $class = "";
    } else {