[Mailman-Users] Debugging Steps

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Apr 13 18:09:14 CEST 2005

Robert Haack wrote:

>Just to give you an overview of the problem so this might make
>more sense.  I had a user send a message to one of our lists list Friday
>at 9:31 AM.  I never saw the message until this morning and the message
>show the correct time the user sent the message but the Mailman log
>shows that it went out yesterday at about 8:00 PM which is about the
>time I rebooted my server.  So if I had some steps to help me figure out
>where to look I'm sure I could figure out what is causing this problem.

First you need to look at the Received: headers in the message you
finally received. Thest will indicate in what step the delay occurred,
but won't necessarily pinpoint the problem.

If Mailman's log (post? smtp?) said it didn't go out until Sunday at
8:00 p.m. that would rule out the outgoing MTA as the source of delay.
It could have been delayed in delivery from the poster to your server,
in delivery from your incoming MTA to Mailman or in Mailman itself.
The MTA logs may have info regarding the first two steps. If the delay
was in Mailman, it's possible one or more qrunners stopped and the
reboot started them again. Check Mailman's qrunner log.