[Mailman-Users] Public dir symlink wrong with new source

Mick Laver mlaver at ucsd.edu
Tue Mar 16 00:10:10 CET 2004

I've been running mailman 2.0.x for several years on RedHat systems.
My first installation was from source so everything went into
/usr/local/mailman. For security and maintenance issues I've decided
to stay in step with Red Hat Network RPM updates, which requires that
I move the mailman install to /var/mailman. I moved the hierachy to
/var/mailman, created the symlink /usr/local/mailman -> /var/mailman,
and everything's been fine. Last week I installed the Redhat mailman
RPM (2.0.13 - this is on an Enterprise 2.1 system) and the updated
source was properly installed. Now I should be able to delete the
symlink kludge because everything's pointing to the /var/mailman
root, right? Well, right for everything except the archives. All the
public-private symlinks for the pre-RPM point to
/usr/local/mailman/archives/private/oldlistname, and all the post-RPM
symlinks point (correctly) to
/var/mailman/archives/private/newlistname. If I switch an old list
from public to private to public, the new symlink is still pointing
to the old /usr/local/mailman/archives hierarchy.

I've verified the paths in Defaults.py are set to /var/mailman and
that this file is being read correctly, but for the life of me I
can't figure out where a list keeps its sense of where its archives
should live. Can anyone set me in the right direction? Thanks.

Mick Laver
Director's Office, Scripps Institution of Oceanography
U.C. San Diego, La Jolla, CA. 92093-0210
P: 858.534.2040  F: 858.534.5739

Mick Laver                                  	mlaver at ucsd.edu
Scripps Institution of Oceanography             Tel:858.534.2040
UC San Diego, La Jolla, CA. 92093-0210          Fax:858.534.5739