[Mailman-Users] Re: No notification of new list created

Michael Sullivan michael at espersunited.com
Tue Jun 29 18:58:06 CEST 2004

I found a log called /var/logs/mailman/smtp-failures that listed a
series of User Unknown errors for the list I tried to create this
morning.  My mailman documentation includes a file called INSTALL.REDHAT
which has a troubleshooting section.  The user unknown problem is listed
there.  It says that the reason this error shows up is because the
mailing list aliases have not been added to /etc/alases. I ran
/var/mailman/bin/rmlist on all my lists (including mailman) while
leaving their definitions in /etc/aliases.  I then ran newlist for a
list called mailman and went back to the smtp-failures log.  It showed
the error:

Jun 26 22:03:03 2004 (4416) SMTP session failure: 553, 5.3.0
<mailman-bounces at espersunited.com>... User Unknown, msgid:
<mailman.1.1088305382.4419.mailman at espersunited.com>

The time stamp was consistent with the time I created the list.  What
can I do about this?  The mailman definitions were still in
/etc/aliases.