[Mailman-Users] migrating templates after upgrade

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Mon Jul 5 12:18:06 CEST 2004

On 4 Jul 2004, at 23:09, Akop Pogosian wrote:

> I have upgraded mailman installation from 2.0.13 to 2.1.5. The
> documetation mentions something about updating list templates but I
> am still not sure how to do it. So far I have run the following
> commands:
>
> cd ~mailman/lists
> for i in *;do diff -r $i ../templates/en > $i.diffs;done
>
> Now, the *.diff files in that directory contain lots of lines like:
>
> "Only in ../templates/en: admindbsummary.html"
> "Only in ../templates/en: adminsubscribeack.txt"
>
> Does that mean that I should copy all of those new files over into the
> mailing list directories? And then there are also some html files that
> differ but it doesn't look like they have been edited by users.
> Shouldn't they have been copied over automatically during upgrade?
> Should I copy them by hand? Is there a programatic way to determine if
> any of those differing files have been edited by users?
>

> -akop

MM 2.1.x makes more extensive use of templates that MM 2.0.x did.  The
conversion you are doing may require a fair bit of hand fettling but
unless one of your old lists used its own custom template you can
probably let MM 2.1.x's defaults templates take the strain.  The
following post may offer some useful guidance in terms of setting up
and maintaining templates on MM 2.1.x:

http://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-users@python.org/msg25430.html