[Mailman-Users] Wondering how long to send messages

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Sat Aug 28 16:09:51 CEST 2004

At 6:40 PM -0700 2004-08-27, Mark Sapiro wrote:

>  But wouldn't those stragglers be queued in the MTA? The question is at
>  what point can one delete someone from the membership list without
>  causing a prior post to that person to not be sent?

	A lot depends on how the mailing list is configured, how the MTA
is configured, etc....  If you're VERPing the recipients, it could
take a while to work through them all for a big list.  If you're not
VERPing the recipients, you could have the group at the bottom of the
list held up while the mailing list tries to deliver stuff to
recipients higher on the list but for which there are DNS problems
causing the MTA to be slow to accept them.

	The answer remains "it depends".

>  I'm not sure, but it seems to me that once the "completed" entry is
>  written to the Mailman smtp log, changes to the membership list won't
>  affect the message recipients of that post.

	Can you be sure which "completed" entry corresponds to which
post, and which other messages might be in the process of being
handled?

	That is, unless you want to single-thread all delivery to the
list, so that you don't post a new message until you can be sure that
the previous post has at least had all copies of the outgoing message
accepted by the local MTA, even if those messages have not yet been
delivered to their recipients.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755