[Mailman-Users] Wondering how long to send messages

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Aug 28 03:40:50 CEST 2004

Brad Knowles wrote:

>At 6:37 PM -0400 2004-08-26, Mike wrote:
>
>>  Wondering if anyone has a sense how long a message takes to send before I
>>  can make changes to the membership list. The concern is if I make changes to
>>  the subscriber list too quickly (remove them), then those folks may not get
>>  the message.
>
>	The answer is -- it depends.  A fast machine on a fast network
>with all recipients who are likewise on fast machines attached to
>fast networks, and with relatively few users, may be completely
>delivered in a few minutes.  But there could always be stragglers
>that are minutes, hours, or even days behind.

But wouldn't those stragglers be queued in the MTA? The question is at
what point can one delete someone from the membership list without
causing a prior post to that person to not be sent?

I'm not sure, but it seems to me that once the "completed" entry is
written to the Mailman smtp log, changes to the membership list won't
affect the message recipients of that post. Of course, the digest
recipients would be affected up until the digest is sent.