[Mailman-Users] Posts To List Not Working: But Admin Emails Do

Karl R. Balsmeier karl at sfdata.net
Tue Apr 27 10:50:32 CEST 2004

We found it was a group_id problem in /etc/exim/configure.

The following block of code was corrected to read:

system_aliases:
   driver = aliasfile
   file = /etc/mail/aliases
   search_type = lsearch
   user = daemon
   group = daemon
   file_transport = address_file
   pipe_transport = address_pipe

Where group=daemon, it used to say "guest".

The log file was what caught this.  I opened a console and typed:
./usr/local/sbin/exim -d9 -bd

The error in the log looked like this:
Mailman mail-wrapper: Group mismatch error.  Mailman expected the mail
wrapper script to be executed as group "daemon", but the system's mail
server executed the mail script as group "guest".  Try tweaking the mail
server to run the script as group "daemon", or re-run configure,  providing
the command line option `--with-mail-gid=guest'.

My question about mailman logs is still open in curiosity, -are here actual
logs, or justmethods to check out what's going on?

-krb