[Mailman-Users] Posts To List Not Working: But Admin Emails Do

Richard Barrett r.barrett at ftel.co.uk
Tue Apr 27 11:25:59 CEST 2004

On 27 Apr 2004, at 09:50, Karl R. Balsmeier wrote:

> We found it was a group_id problem in /etc/exim/configure.
>
> The following block of code was corrected to read:
>
> system_aliases:
>   driver = aliasfile
>   file = /etc/mail/aliases
>   search_type = lsearch
>   user = daemon
>   group = daemon
>   file_transport = address_file
>   pipe_transport = address_pipe
>
> Where group=daemon, it used to say "guest".
>
> The log file was what caught this.

Which log file?

>   I opened a console and typed:
> ./usr/local/sbin/exim -d9 -bd
>
> The error in the log

Which log?

> looked like this:
> Mailman mail-wrapper: Group mismatch error.  Mailman expected the mail
> wrapper script to be executed as group "daemon", but the system's mail
> server executed the mail script as group "guest".  Try tweaking the
> mail server to run the script as group "daemon", or re-run configure,
> providing the command line option `--with-mail-gid=guest'.
>
> My question about mailman logs is still open in curiosity, -are here
> actual logs, or justmethods to check out what's going on?

Maybe I have not understood your question but here goes. Mailman writes
a number of logs to its log directory, see below the directory listing
from my system. The log file names are fairly explanatory. Normally,
the most useful tend to be the error, post, smtp and smtp-failure logs:

user at server:$prefix/logs> ls -1 | grep -v "\."
bounce
digest
error
fromusenet
locks
mischief
post
qrunner
smtp
smtp-failure
subscribe
vette

There will not be much in these logs and the log files may not have
even been created if the MTA was failing to deliver to Mailman, as
seems to be your case. Without the stimulus of incoming mail the logs
may have yet to be opened/created for the first time.