[Mailman-Users] help re: web_page_url and virtual hosts

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Fri Nov 14 16:35:22 CET 2003

On Friday, November 14, 2003, at 03:08  pm, Thomas C. Fischer wrote:

> Hi Richard, hi Dave,
>
>>> Unfortunately, all the message components that contain the
>>> web_page_url
>>> string variable have it evaluating to one domain name (usually the
>>> wrong
>>> one) even though components using host_name evaluate to each list's
>>> correct domain.
>>>

>> This FAQ entry my be of use:
>>
>> http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.029.htp
>
> Forgive me when I laugh... This FAQ entry is quoted every single time
> someone asks about URLs in mailman. And I have never met anybody whose
> problem got solved through reading it...

Well, you and anybody else who has the time and energy to do better is
welcome to rewrite that FAQ or any another. It is Open Software and
anybody can contribute ....

> I am using mailman for quite a while now and I still haven't managed to
> set the URL correctly from the start.

Have your read the output from $prefix/bin/newlist --help ? It says in
part:

<quote>
You can specify the domain to create your new list in by spelling the
listname
like so:

     mylist at www.mydom.ain

where `www.mydom.ain' should be the base hostname for the URL to this
virtual
hosts's lists.  E.g. with is setting people will view the general list
overviews at http://www.mydom.ain/mailman/listinfo.  Also, www.mydom.ain
should be a key in the VIRTUAL_HOSTS mapping in mm_cfg.py/Defaults.py.
It
will be looked up to give the email hostname.  If this can't be found,
then
www.mydom.ain will be used for both the web interface and the email
interface.
</quote>

>  The way I do it now is to set up a
> list, ignore the mail to the list admin and change the URL manually
> with
> fix_url.py.
>
> ./withlist -l -r fix_url mylistname -v -u my.webhost.name
>

> However I am still very interested in finding people who managed to
> configure mailman in a way that the URL gets set correctly right from
> the
> beginning.
>
> Look here:
>
> DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'mailhost.name'
> DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'my.webhost.name'
> DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'https://%s/mailman/'
> VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()
> add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)
>
> Now tell my why this doesn't do the trick?! The mail for the list admin
> still has the link
>
> https://mailhost.name/mailman/admin/test
>
> But instead of mailhost.name it should have my.webhost.name, don't you
> reckon?

Only if the list was created after the assignments you cite above were
extant when the list was created. Are you saying that if you now create
another test list, you get the wrong results?