[Mailman-Users] help re: web_page_url and virtual hosts

Thomas C. Fischer fischer at tcf.de
Fri Nov 14 17:00:17 CET 2003

Hi Richard,

thanks for your answer! I appreciate talking to someone who apparently
knows what he is talking about! ;-)

> > Forgive me when I laugh... This FAQ entry is quoted every single time
> > someone asks about URLs in mailman. And I have never met anybody whose
> > problem got solved through reading it...
>
> Well, you and anybody else who has the time and energy to do better is
> welcome to rewrite that FAQ or any another. It is Open Software and
> anybody can contribute ....

Didn't want to offend anybody - forgive me if this sounded slightly
sarcastic. I wish I could rewrite the FAQ - it's just that I simply
haven't understood how these parameters are working together...

> Have your read the output from $prefix/bin/newlist --help ? It says in
> part:
>
> <quote>
> You can specify the domain to create your new list in by spelling the
> listname
> like so:
>
>      mylist at www.mydom.ain
>
> where `www.mydom.ain' should be the base hostname for the URL to this
> virtual
> hosts's lists.  E.g. with is setting people will view the general list
> overviews at http://www.mydom.ain/mailman/listinfo.  Also, www.mydom.ain
> should be a key in the VIRTUAL_HOSTS mapping in mm_cfg.py/Defaults.py.
> It
> will be looked up to give the email hostname.  If this can't be found,
> then
> www.mydom.ain will be used for both the web interface and the email
> interface.
> </quote>

Yup! And the important part seems to be the "key in the VIRTUAL_HOSTS
mapping"-thingy... What mailman does in my case is that it uses
www.mydom.ain for both the web interface and the email interface, although
I use the settings described below...

> > Look here:
> >
> > DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'mailhost.name'
> > DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'my.webhost.name'
> > DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'https://%s/mailman/'
> > VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()
> > add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)
> >
> > Now tell my why this doesn't do the trick?! The mail for the list admin
> > still has the link
> >
> > https://mailhost.name/mailman/admin/test
> >
> > But instead of mailhost.name it should have my.webhost.name, don't you
> > reckon?
>
> Only if the list was created after the assignments you cite above were
> extant when the list was created. Are you saying that if you now create
> another test list, you get the wrong results?

Yes, that's what I am saying. With the above settings I do a
 bin/newlist test at mailhost.name

And then it will use the mailhost.name in the webhost-corner!

It works fine as long as I simply say
bin/newlist test - without the mailhost.name thing...

But after all there are more virtual hosts on my machine...

Once again: Thanks for your ongoing help.

Regards,
Tom