[Mailman-Users] help re: web_page_url and virtual hosts

Thomas C. Fischer fischer at tcf.de
Fri Nov 14 16:08:46 CET 2003

Hi Richard, hi Dave,

> > Unfortunately, all the message components that contain the web_page_url
> > string variable have it evaluating to one domain name (usually the
> > wrong
> > one) even though components using host_name evaluate to each list's
> > correct domain.
> >

> This FAQ entry my be of use:
>
> http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.029.htp

Forgive me when I laugh... This FAQ entry is quoted every single time
someone asks about URLs in mailman. And I have never met anybody whose
problem got solved through reading it...

I am using mailman for quite a while now and I still haven't managed to
set the URL correctly from the start. The way I do it now is to set up a
list, ignore the mail to the list admin and change the URL manually with
fix_url.py.

./withlist -l -r fix_url mylistname -v -u my.webhost.name

However I am still very interested in finding people who managed to
configure mailman in a way that the URL gets set correctly right from the
beginning.

Look here:

DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'mailhost.name'
DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'my.webhost.name'
DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'https://%s/mailman/'
VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()

Now tell my why this doesn't do the trick?! The mail for the list admin
still has the link

https://mailhost.name/mailman/admin/test

But instead of mailhost.name it should have my.webhost.name, don't you
reckon?

Well, as usual: Any help is greatly appreciated!

Best regards,
Tom