[Mailman-Users] Mandrake 9.1 / ImportError: No modulenamedgetopt

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Tue May 13 18:35:09 CEST 2003

At 16:59 13/05/2003, Oliver Egginger wrote:
>Hello Richard, hello all,
>
>You wrote:
> > The only difference between execution of the python instance running
> > mailmanctl and the execl'd python instance is the -S option on the latter

Yes. That comment was crap.

>I would like to agree but here is what I (among other things) did.
>
>I changed the implied line 255 in the mailmanctl script.
>See the the corresponding diff which follows.
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------>
># diff mailmanctl mailmanctl.original
>255c255
><     os.execl(exe, exe, rswitch, '-s')
>---
> >     os.execl(mm_cfg.PYTHON, 'qrunner', exe, rswitch, '-s')
>------------------------------------------------------------------>

Re-reading the definition of execl in the man pages and Python docs:

path to file to run is the path to python executable

arg0 is the name of the process as will be displayed by ps, that is 'qrunner'

arg1 is the first first argument for python i.e the name of the python
script it is to run

arg2 is the first argument to be passed to that python script (the --runner
option)

arg3 is the second argument to be passed to that python script (the qrunner
script's -s option)

Your fix may appear to work but something must be wrong for the original
code to fail and this needs to be discovered and fixed.

There has to be an expert out there who knows the solution even if we do
not (yet).

What version of Python are you running and what OS (I forgot)

>After doing that mailman (respective the qrunners) starts working!
>
>But an (maybe) odd thing is, that when I start mailmanctl in
>verbose mode I'am receiving messages like this one:
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------>
>Logging error: <StampedLogger to '/home/mailman/logs/error'>
>Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/home/mailman/Mailman/Logging/MultiLogger.py", line 43, in write
>     logger.write(msg)
>   File "/home/mailman/Mailman/Logging/StampedLogger.py", line 73, in
>write
>     Logger.write(self, "%s %s" % (prefix, msg))
>   File "/home/mailman/Mailman/Logging/Logger.py", line 88, in write
>     msg = unicode(msg, self.__encoding)
>SystemError: codec module not properly initialized
>Original log message:
># clear __builtin__._
>------------------------------------------------------------------>
>

>But independent from that thing it seems to work normal.
>I can't test the whole program but the normal list processing don't
>cause any problems, as yet.
>
>Three questions:
>
>1. How can it be that my flubs works and the original line not
>(under ML 9.1)?

I would suggest the original line works for most MM systems which is saying
something is wrong with your installation.

>2. Are the "Logging error" messages from the verbose mode dangerous?

Saying something is wrong.

>3. It is risky to bring mailman in this state into production?

Yes it is too risky in my view.

Remind us again what OS and what version of Python are you running.