[Mailman-Users] MS Exchange as a relay computer?

Ralf Hildebrandt Ralf.Hildebrandt at charite.de
Tue Jan 28 07:05:37 CET 2003

* Angel Gabriel <badmangabriel at lycos.co.uk>:

> The reason I was going to do this, is because I don't really want to
> have two DNS servers on the same subnet, and email being sent by a
> machine with local DNS, is going to send faster that a machine that has
> to wait for DNS queries to be answered.

a) You don't need a DNS server. You only need a cache. Something like
   nscd (should come with libc!) or better
   http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/install.html
   is dead simple to install and doesn't conflict with anything on the net.

b) a local DNS has nothing to do with resolving names from the
   internet (unless you configured it to be a cache)

--
Ralf Hildebrandt (Im Auftrag des Referat V a)   Ralf.Hildebrandt at charite.de
Charite Campus Mitte                            Tel.  +49 (0)30-450 570-155