Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users]@thcwd htdig error

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Sat Aug 30 09:27:26 CEST 2003

On Saturday, August 30, 2003, at 02:57  am, Paul H Byerly wrote:

> Richard Barrett  wrote:
>
> On Thursday, August 28, 2003, at 08:27  pm, Paul H Byerly wrote:
>
> > I've got ht://dig working nicely, but I get an error message each
> time
> > the nightly cron job runs:
> >
> > From: root at svr01.thcwd.com (Cron Daemon)
> > To: mailman at svr01.thcwd.com
> > Subject: Cron <mailman at svr01> /usr/local/bin/python2.2 -S
> > /usr/local/mailman/cron/nightly_htdig
> >
> > /bin/sort: /opt/www/htdig/db/sort99SAvz: Permission denied
> > htmerge: Word sort failed
> >
> > /bin/sort: /opt/www/htdig/db/sortTjcbiZ: Permission denied
> > htmerge: Word sort failed
> >

> >      The cron job and /opt/www/htdig/db/ both have the permissions
> > root:mailman .  The /opt/www/htdig/db/ has no files in it.  My
> > /opt/www/htdig/conf/htdig.conf reads:
> >
> > database_dir:           /opt/www/htdig/db
> >

> When rundig is executed by nightly_htdig it uses the -c option so that
> the per-list htdig configuration file found as
> $prefix/archives/private/<listname>/htdig/<listname>.conf is used.
>

>      That was my understanding, and clearly that is being done.
>

> >      My individual list folders
> > (../mailman/archives/private/<LISTNAME>/htdig/) have the proper files
> > and they update correctly.  Everything seems to run correctly.  Is
> > this ht://dig "going back to it's roots" and trying to do something I
> > have no need for?
> >
> Take a look at the /opt/www/htdig/bin/rundig shell script.
>
> My rundig, as installed by the standard htdig 3.1.6 build default,
> takes the default $DBDIR from the build and nominates it as the $TMPDIR
> when running htmerge.
>

>      I have the same thing.
>
> This probably explains why htmerge is using that
> directory for temporary sort files.
>

>      Ah, so I see nothing because they are cleared after it runs.
> Okay.
>
> Why you are seeing the permissions failure if the cron job is being run
> from the mailman uid's crontab,
>

>      It is:
>
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     mailman      1556 Aug 20 21:07 crontab.in
>
> and /usr/local/mailman/cron/crontab.in reads in part:
>
> # At 2:19am every night, regenerate htdig search files.  Only
> # turn this on if the internal archiver is used and htdig
> # use enabled in mm_cfg.py with USE_HTDIG
> 19 2 * * * /usr/local/bin/python2.2 -S
> /usr/local/mailman/cron/nightly_htdig
>

>  and if that uid has write permissions
> over the /opt/www/htdig/db directory,
>

> drwxr-xr-x    2 root     mailman      4096 Aug 20 21:38 db

In my case the permissions for /opt/www/htdig/db are set to drwxrwxr-x,
which given that I run the Mailman cron scripts with the 'mailman' uid,
is necessary.

> is more of a mystery. You could
> try modifying the rundig script to try using another area like /tmp
> (but note the cautions in the rundig script's comments) and see if that
> resolves the problem.
>

>      Why do I have a feeling this is one more bane of Ensim's chrooted
> environment?  I am not seeing any failures of the search engine, but
> maybe I've just not run across them?
>
>      I'm getting different things each day, and some days more than
> one.  What do the failures mean/tell me?    The last 5 days are:
>
> /bin/sort: /opt/www/htdig/db/sortT8E1SH: Permission denied
> htmerge: Word sort failed
>
> ../sortu9ljsc
> ../sort62TlPS
> ../sort99SAvz  sortTjcbiZ
> ../sortmlhFd4

I wonder if the sort doesn't need a temporary file on every occasion or
for every list. But that is just a SWAG.

>       BTW, when I run form the command line I don't get these errors.

What uid are you running from the command line as, mailman or root?

Richard