Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users]@thcwd htdig error

Paul H Byerly paul at thcwd.com
Sat Aug 30 03:57:51 CEST 2003

Richard Barrett  wrote:
>On Thursday, August 28, 2003, at 08:27  pm, Paul H Byerly wrote:
>
> > I've got ht://dig working nicely, but I get an error message each time
> > the nightly cron job runs:
> >
> > From: root at svr01.thcwd.com (Cron Daemon)
> > To: mailman at svr01.thcwd.com
> > Subject: Cron <mailman at svr01> /usr/local/bin/python2.2 -S
> > /usr/local/mailman/cron/nightly_htdig
> >
> > /bin/sort: /opt/www/htdig/db/sort99SAvz: Permission denied
> > htmerge: Word sort failed
> >
> > /bin/sort: /opt/www/htdig/db/sortTjcbiZ: Permission denied
> > htmerge: Word sort failed
> >

> >      The cron job and /opt/www/htdig/db/ both have the permissions
> > root:mailman .  The /opt/www/htdig/db/ has no files in it.  My
> > /opt/www/htdig/conf/htdig.conf reads:
> >
> > database_dir:           /opt/www/htdig/db
> >

>When rundig is executed by nightly_htdig it uses the -c option so that
>the per-list htdig configuration file found as
>$prefix/archives/private/<listname>/htdig/<listname>.conf is used.

      That was my understanding, and clearly that is being done.

> >      My individual list folders
> > (../mailman/archives/private/<LISTNAME>/htdig/) have the proper files
> > and they update correctly.  Everything seems to run correctly.  Is
> > this ht://dig "going back to it's roots" and trying to do something I
> > have no need for?
> >
>Take a look at the /opt/www/htdig/bin/rundig shell script.
>
>My rundig, as installed by the standard htdig 3.1.6 build default,
>takes the default $DBDIR from the build and nominates it as the $TMPDIR
>when running htmerge.

      I have the same thing.

>This probably explains why htmerge is using that
>directory for temporary sort files.

      Ah, so I see nothing because they are cleared after it runs.  Okay.

>Why you are seeing the permissions failure if the cron job is being run
>from the mailman uid's crontab,

      It is:

-rw-r--r--    1 root     mailman      1556 Aug 20 21:07 crontab.in

and /usr/local/mailman/cron/crontab.in reads in part:

# At 2:19am every night, regenerate htdig search files.  Only
# turn this on if the internal archiver is used and htdig
# use enabled in mm_cfg.py with USE_HTDIG
19 2 * * * /usr/local/bin/python2.2 -S /usr/local/mailman/cron/nightly_htdig

>  and if that uid has write permissions
>over the /opt/www/htdig/db directory,

drwxr-xr-x    2 root     mailman      4096 Aug 20 21:38 db

>is more of a mystery. You could
>try modifying the rundig script to try using another area like /tmp
>(but note the cautions in the rundig script's comments) and see if that
>resolves the problem.

      Why do I have a feeling this is one more bane of Ensim's chrooted
environment?  I am not seeing any failures of the search engine, but maybe
I've just not run across them?

      I'm getting different things each day, and some days more than
one.  What do the failures mean/tell me?    The last 5 days are:

/bin/sort: /opt/www/htdig/db/sortT8E1SH: Permission denied
htmerge: Word sort failed

../sortu9ljsc
../sort62TlPS
../sort99SAvz  sortTjcbiZ
../sortmlhFd4

       BTW, when I run form the command line I don't get these errors.

<>< Paul