[Mailman-Users] Bug in Mailman version 2.1

Todd Freedom_Lover at pobox.com
Fri Apr 18 19:10:30 CEST 2003

Mike Gideon wrote:
> Still trying to get this working.  I found a bit of information from
> yesterday, telling me to install the Python Development RPM if I installed
> mailman from a Linux package manager.  After that, and adding this to my
> mm_cfg.py
> MTA = 'Postfix'
> POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS = []
> POSTFIX_ALIAS_CMD = '/usr/sbin/postalias'
> POSTFIX_MAP_CMD = '/usr/sbin/postmap'
>
> And clicking on the "create list" from the /mailman/create page.

So far, so good.

> I don't want to give up yet, but this is my 4th day at this.  Is there
> another good listserv program out there that anyone would recomend?

There's nothing wrong with Mailman, you just have to follow all of the
appropriate README* files.  In this case, you need to read (or re-read)
README.POSTFIX.

> Bug in Mailman version 2.1
> We're sorry, we hit a bug!
> If you would like to help us identify the problem, please email a copy of
> this page to the webmaster for this site with a description of what
> happened. Thanks!
> Traceback:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/var/mailman/scripts/driver", line 87, in run_main
>     main()
>   File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Cgi/create.py", line 55, in main
>     process_request(doc, cgidata)
>   File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Cgi/create.py", line 217, in process_request
>     sys.modules[modname].create(mlist, cgi=1)
>   File "/var/mailman/Mailman/MTA/Postfix.py", line 226, in create
>     _update_maps()
>   File "/var/mailman/Mailman/MTA/Postfix.py", line 47, in _update_maps
>     raise RuntimeError, msg % (acmd, status, errstr)
> RuntimeError: command failed: /usr/sbin/postalias
> /var/mailman/data/aliases (status: 1, Operation not permitted)

This is a FAQ.  See:

    http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq06.009.htp

Your permissions on data/aliases are likely incorrect.

- --
Todd              OpenPGP -> KeyID: 0xD654075A | URL: www.pobox.com/~tmz/pgp
Politicians never accuse you of 'greed' for wanting other people's money --
only for wanting to keep your own money.
    --  Joseph Sobran