[Mailman-Users] Text encoding issue

Robert Costain rcostain at sympatico.ca
Sun Apr 6 17:52:24 CEST 2003

I'm running Mailman 2.1.1 on Mac OS X Server. My lists are primarily
English, but a few of them are also in French and even the English ones
sometimes have French accented characters. As a result, I would like
Mailman to encode all messages as ISO-8859-1.

Here's my problem:
A few users (particularly one subscriber using Outlook on Windows XP)
receive most of the messages as text attachments rather than a message
body.

Accents were not displaying correctly on the main listinfo page in
certain browsers (e.g. Safari, Netscape), so I added the following to
the mm_cfg.py file:
LC_DESCRIPTIONS['en'] = ('English (USA)', 'iso-8859-1')

While this solved the Listinfo page display problem, it caused the
attachment problem I am observing now. In playing around with
encodings, I tried adding the following to the mm_cfg.py file:
DEFAULT_CHARSET = ['iso-8859-1']
VERBATIM_ENCODING = ['iso-2022-jp', 'iso-8859-1']

...But this did not help.

It's not a huge deal, but it is a real pain for the less 'Net savvy
subscribers who think that list messages are coming in empty with an
attachment (kind of scary for those who are virus-paranoid too.)

Thanks in advance for any advice!