[Mailman-Users] mailman getting behind (qfiles)

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed Oct 9 17:17:52 CEST 2002

On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 06:17, mailman at tux.org wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, Wayne Walker wrote:
>
> > QRUNNER_PROCESS_LIFETIME = minutes(15)
> > QRUNNER_MAX_MESSAGES = 300
> >
> > So, this thing sits for 15 minutes and reduces the qfiles dir (180 to
> > 118 in 15 minutes).  Any ideas why it would take longer than that?
>
> Is it the same messages always sitting around, or a different bunch
> every time?  Also, are you positive that it takes the full 15 minutes
> for qrunner to reduce the queue, or does it perhaps do what it is
> going to do very quickly, and then bogs down?  Finally, does your
> qrunner log show anything that might help?
>
> The only time I have had a Mailman queue backlog is when there was a
> bad  message in the queue.  I moved it aside, and the rest cleared out
> in good time.  The qrunner log was very clear about the problem; one
> look there, and you may have your answer right away.
>
> - Andrew

I agree with Andrew, but want to add that you should run a caching named
server on this box. The processing of your mail will speed up
dramatically.  Also, you should switch to Postfix for the MTA as it does
a better job of handling undeliverable mail (to sites that have
unreliable mail servers and poorly setup secondaries).

- Jon Carnes